Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Watch out Waffle House - Crispy Sweet Potato Hash Browns


 
 
Let me just tell you that I've tried for a very long time to make good hash browns.  Mine always turn out soggy... never crisp... so if I wanted good hash browns I had to go clog my heart up at the good old Waffle House.  Well no more because yes my dear friends I have mastered the hash brown...thanks to a little Internet research of course.  And the BEST news!  They are Paleo friendly and Whole30 friendly!!! Yea me!  And yea you!!  Cause you know you're going to make these!!  Of course if your not on board with getting rid of white potatoes then you can use them in place of the sweet ones, but honestly sweet potato hash browns rock!
 
First step... peel your tater!
 
Then grate them... I hate washing my food processor so I just did them by hand.... but if you want the big old machine... go for it. 
 
 
Now here is the important steps.... rinse them in cold water until the water runs clear... about two or three minutes
 
 
Then you need to pour the drained potatoes into a clean dish cloth and ring all the water out you can... yep... get those arm muscles working....work it! Yes... thats my hand and yes, I'm still in my robe this morning... forgive me.




 
Finely chop half a medium size onion... or as much or little as you would like...
 
Toss the potatoes and onions in a bowl...
Crack an egg and toss it in...
Toss in 1/3 cup paleo friendly flour (I used coconut)
Mix it all up... with some salt and pepper
 
 
Now the fun part :)
In a large pan, heat up enough coconut oil to generously coat the bottom of the pan.
Heat the oil in the pan on medium high heat.  You want to make sure the oil is hot and will sizzle as soon as your hash browns hit the oil.  This is important because if the oil isn't hot enough your potatoes will simply soak up the oil.. nothing worse than soggy greasy hash browns.
Then scoop in your hash browns and flatten them out... you can make them big or you can make them small... your pick. 
Cook a couple minutes until crispy brown and flip over to cook the over side... 
Remove from pan and salt to taste.... add paleo friendly ketchup or hot sauce if you want... but get ready for your mouth to say YUM!
Crispy Hash Browns
One large or two Medium Sweet Potatoes (or potato of choice)
One half medium onion chopped
One egg
1/4 cup Paleo friendly flour (or all purpose flour)
Salt and Pepper to taste
Coconut Oil
Peel potatoes and grate.  Rinse potatoes with cold water until water runs clear.  Approximately 1-2 minutes.  Place potatoes in a clean towel and press dry.  You also need to ring the potatoes out to make sure to remove as much water as possible.  Add potatoes, onion, egg, flour and salt and pepper to bowl and mix well.  Heat enough coconut oil to generously coat the bottom of your pan.  Heat oil over medium high heat so that it is hot enough to start cooking the hash browns as soon as they are placed in the oil.  Scoop hash browns into hot oil and cook for 2-3 minutes on each side until they are crispy brown.  Remove from oil and add additional salt right away if desired. 
Enjoy!






No comments:

Post a Comment